Ahh street style stars, they’re just like us, except the guys following them around carry cameras and work for Vogue. While most street stylers are working editors, stylists, models, or bloggers with sick closets, per diems, and relationships with designers, it isn’t what they wear that sets them apart it’s how they wear it. And no, I don’t mean how confident they are when wearing pajamas as brunch attire. I’m talking about the little cuffs and tucks they add to make an outfit a cohesive look.
Now that fall is in full swing, what better time to try out these 5 simple street style hacks to take your game up 10 notches. Oh and did I mention none of these require buying anything? Now you know.
Photo: Wendy’s Lookbook
Cinch your jacket or coat with a great belt.
Typically the belts that come with coats suck and blazers don’t come with belts at all. By throwing a belt over your jacket not only are you proving that you have a waist under all those layers, you’re also adding some much needed visual interest. (50 points to Ravenclaw for belting over your coat and untied, oversized scarf.)
Wear knee-high boots instead of tights.
When the temps drop we all have a tendency to throw tights under every skirt. Unless it’s colder than a witch’s tit outside, you can make do with rocking a stellar pair of leather, over the knee boots under your midi skirt. It looked great when women did it in the 70s, and the 70s are back so there.
Photo: They All Hate Us
Half-tucks all around.
I love a good half-tuck, it’s the mullet of styling tips and gives you a polished, DGAF vibe. While almost everyone has mastered the button-down half-tuck, the t-shirt and sweater half-tucks have been vastly over-looked. Next time you slip on a knit, tuck in the front and let the rest fly. Trust me, it looks good, not sloppy.
Drape your coat
You ever notice how rich, boss ladies in the movies always drape their coats over their shoulders? That’s because it’s a boss ass move and pulling it off will make you look like a boss too.
Swap your necklace for a scarf
I’ll admit this one is dicey but if you can master it, you’ll be all over the street style blogs in no time. The trick is to get a great scarf and play around with how you tie it. Personally, I wear mine loose like a long necklace, as pictured, but I’ve also seen women go for the ascot vibe and that works too.
*Update: I was included in IFB’s weekly round up this week. Be sure to check out the otehr amazing blogs that made the cut to share the love.
Links à la Mode, October 15
- Anonymous Beauty Blogger: 10 Must-Have Apps For Every Kind of Blogger
- Attire Club: The 2015 Men’s Halloween Style Guide
- Between the Racks: A Peek at My Day Job | Nuclear Power Edition
- Cammeo Head to Toe: Pink on Purpose | Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Fashion, Trends, and More: Fall/Winter 2015 Trend Report | Lace It Up
- fash Up with Shivani: 10 Ways to Wrap a Scarf
- Greige Market: 5 Street Style Hacks to Master This Fall
- Hey Just Jei: 5 Wild Ways to Wear Wood
- I’m a Norbyah: To Trend or Not to Trend
- Les Assorties: Fashion for the Future
- Miss Trend She: 3 Reasons to Wear a Watch
- Modavracha: Pom Pom Shoe Trend
- Ms. FABulous: NY Bridal Week | THEIA Fall 2016
- Purushu Arie: Monday to Friday Men’s Corporate Dressing Guide
- Splash of Teal: Weekend Getaways | Victoria, BC, Tips, Outfits, Things To Do
- The Outfit Repeater: Where to Find New Bloggers to Follow
- The Wanderbliss: Jewelled by the Sun
- This Season’s Gold: Wear it Two Ways | Petite in Poncho and Knee Boots
- We Are Ready Made: Changes
- What Erika Wears: How to Improve Your Social Media Skills as an Influencer