The past 12 months have been exhausting. Every morning we get a side of new and crazy with our coffee that obliterates my faith in humanity. To counteract the feeling we’re all going to hell in a flaming Gucci bag, I’ve pulled together 5 ways you can be the change this holiday season. Not a single suggestion calls for a trip to the mall and each one will make someone else’s day a little bit brighter.
Remember, giving during the holidays is not just about making yourself feel better, it is about genuinely expressing love and care for your fellow man. In other words, don’t do good because it’s a trend, do it because you want to.
Give what you can.
There are so many opportunities to give to causes you support during the holidays. All you have to do is pick a cause, decide on a donation, and give it. If you are short on organizations to donate to, there is a thing called Google. Put in a cause that moves you and organizations will pop out. It’s that easy.
Give like a true scammer.
This is something I do throughout the year. I give what I can, when I can, without making it a thing. It ranges from leaving extra cash on someone’s windshield to paying for a stranger’s drink or leaving a kind note. It’s sneaky and I like sneaky.
Give the gift of your time.
Giving what you can doesn’t always mean money or junk from your closet. In fact, it should never mean junk from your closet. If holiday shopping has your bank broken people can always use your time. Again, when it comes to finding places to volunteer, the Google has your back fam.
Give it a personal touch.
Whatever it is that you are going to do to make the holidays a little better for someone else, make it personal. Write a note, make a card, decorate the package, give it that extra something that says, “I give a damn.”
Keep it up all year round.
Being kind, generous, and grateful should not be holiday things. We should carry the holiday spirit through the entire year. I know it’s like hard but there are enough horrible people in the world so.
Take time for self care.
Giving your time and your energy to cause you care about can be exhausting. Add holiday stress to the mix and you have a recipe for burnout. No matter your holiday schedule, find time and space for you. It could be something as simple as taking a bath or going for a run. Whatever it is, prioritize that so you can be the best nasty woman or bad hombre you can be.
Update: This post was chosen for IFB’s Links a la Mode for December 1st. Check out the other amazing blog posts that made the roundup.
Links à la Mode, [December 1, 2016]
- Adorned in Armor: Do Your Best
- Blonde Menagerie:Under $200 Tech Gift Guide
- Cat Eyes and Skinny Jeans: Gift Guide for the Bestie
- Ella Pretty Blog: Gossip Girl Chic…On A Budget
- Elements of Ellis :Leather Jacket + Grey Scarf
- Fancier’s World :The Only Metallic Parka You Will Need This Season
- Fancier’s World :Holiday Gift Guide: Swarovski Crystal Collection Sale on Zulily
- Feathers and Stripes :Best Books to Gift
- Finite1 :Master Guide To Materials Of Jackets And Coats: What Jacket Or Coat Should I Wear?
- Glitter Inc :How to Transition Your Decor From the Holidays to New Year’s Eve
- Greige Market :Holiday Giving Guide
- Happy Pretty Sweet: Pressies for Everyone on Your List
- Love, Amber Victoria: Duster Coats
- Middle of Somewhere: Holiday Gift Guide: For Her Under $100
- Pudding Monster: Pink Coat
- Smile Is It :The Ultimate Holiday Gift Guide for Family & Friends 2016
- The Wanderbliss: Unclad